Maintaining a balanced budget can be an overwhelming task, especially in these times of rising expenses and uncertain income. You can make it a more attainable goal, however, by watching for these warning signs of out of control spending. Should you notice any of these signs in your own behavior or the behavior of your loved ones, lock away the checkbook and limit yourself to the “10 items or less” lane immediately!
1. If you forget where you are while trying to find something in your closet and start looking around for the person running “this great rummage sale,” you probably need to cut back on the spending.
2 .Leaving a store empty-handed makes you feel guilty. If you feel the need to make a purchase each time you visit any store, even if you are “just browsing,” you have a problem.
3. If you are greeted at the door by name by your very own personal greeter each time you walk into your favorite store, you are definitely getting to be too well known.
4. When you find yourself consulting a travel agency to plan your next shopping excursion, it is time to put the brakes on spending!
5. If your neighbors always stop by to let you know when their next yard sale will be or if you find yourself freeing up time on your calendar to make time for garage sales, you not only have an addiction but everyone in the neighborhood knows it.
6. Judging the storage capacity of potential new cars by the number of shopping bags the trunk can hold is a definite warning sign. If you start calculating how many more bags you can haul by dumping the kids, seek help immediately!
7. If you find yourself daydreaming about shopping at your favorite store in the middle of the day, it may be too late to save you!
8. You have become so good at sneaking purchases past your loved ones that you are recruited to join a secret ninja society but turn them down when you learn perks do not include an expense account.
9. You celebrate joining Shopaholics Anonymous by treating yourself to weekend shopping spree while staying at your favorite resort spa.
20. Cashiers routinely put in a fresh roll of register tape when they see you coming to prepare for the lengthy receipt they must print.
So if you have tightened your belt to the point it is cutting off your circulation and you still cannot make ends meet, watch out for these symptoms of overspending. You never know, the dollar you save could be your own!
Photo credit: Walmart Grocery Checkout Line in Gladstone, Missouri by Walmart Stores/flickr
Author Samantha Hathaway is a financial consultant and suggests there are times when payday loans may come in handy when you have financial needs prior to a pay date.